Take this quizz in order to know where you fall on the introvert-extrovert spectrum.
ANSWER EACH QUESTION “true” OR “false”, choosing the answer that applies to you more often than not.
- ______ I prefer one-on-one conversations to group activities.
- ______ I often prefer to express myself in writing.
- ______ I enjoy solitude.
- ______ I seem to care less than my peers about wealth, fame and status.
- ______ I dislike small talk, but I enjoy talking in depth about topics that matter to me.
- ______ People tell me that I’m a good listener.
- ______ I’m not a big risk-taker.
- ______ I enjoy work that allows me to “dive in” with few interruptions.
- ______ I like to celebrate birthdays on a small scale, with only one or two close friends or family members.
- ______ People describe me as “soft-spoken” or “mellow”.
- ______ I prefer not to show or discuss my work with others until it’ finished.
- ______ I dislike conflict.
- ______ I do best work on my own.
- ______ I tend to think before I speak.
- ______ I feel drained after being out and about, even if I’ve enjoyed myself.
- ______ I often let calls go through to voice mail.
- ______ If I had to choose, I’d prefer a weekend with absolutely nothing to do to one with too many things scheduled.
- ______ I don’t enjoy multitasking.
- ______ I can concentrate easily.
- ______ In classroom situations, I prefer lectures to seminars.
The more often you answered “true”, the more introverted you probably are. If you found yourself with a roughly equal number of “true” and “false” answers, then you may be an ambivert – yes there is really such a word.
Note: This is an informal quiz, not a scientifically validated personality test. The questions were formulated by the author based on characteristics of introversion often accepted by contemporary researchers.
My name is Virginie Ligot and I am a Yoga teacher for introvert and sensitive women who want to (re)connect with their emotions and bring joy into their lives. If you are one of them or if you know one, I invite you to contact me and ask for a free 30-minute Skype session! Contact Virginie by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Excerpt from the book “Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking”, by Susan CAIN, Brodaway Books, New York 2012.